Monday, August 14, 2006

Bookstalls on the Seine


A favorite pasttime in Paris is walking along the bookseller stalls on both sides of the Seine. You can count on the vendors for books in French and English, German and Japanese, posters old and new, postcards old and new, vintage magazines with photos of Marilyn Monroe or Miles Davis on the covers.

The bateaux glide by on the Seine. Streams of little cars drive by on the quays. Smells of coffee or roasting chestnuts fill the air. Occasional sirens hee-haw in and out. You can hear the sound of the wind through the sycamores and the white chestnuts if you listen.

Rain or shine, the booksellers come out, lift up the lids on their stalls, and set out their papers.

6 comments:

Ginnie Hart said...

I would like to go there right now and buy a little cone of roasted chestnuts...and then rummage through the postcards! Ahh. Another piece of heaven! Mem'ries.

Ruth said...

. . . just as the sun starts going down over the Seine, in April or October.

Anonymous said...

Ruth, I haven't visited PD for a while and am amazed at your photos and your writing/observations. You are truly in love with this city and have so many things to share with us. Thank you.

Ruth said...

Thank you, Don. It's amazing what we learn just by paying attention to something. I pay attention to Paris.

rauf said...

We have special relationship with old book sellers here in Madras. There was a tragedy, I'll write about it in a couple of days Ruth
Going to Bangalore early in the morning, I'll be back on 18th. One sleepless night in the train has affected me a great deal, I have lost a few pounds which is not healthy for me.

Ruth said...

Rauf, I do hope you'll get some sleep, especially since you're traveling again. I will look for your story about the bookseller.